Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Europe Day 10/11/12; Netherlands, Amsterdam


Hehe finally continuing Europe trip updates! Headed from France to Amsterdam, my favourite city out of all! :)

We stayed at this wonderful B&B in Landsmeer, a short distance outside of Amsterdam. The owners are really friendly and they served great breakfast every morning! The breakfast varies daily so there was something to look forward to when we wake up :D

Went to the Heineken Experience on our first day in Amsterdam :) There was a long queue of people waiting to buy tickets; thankfully we bought ours online prior to the trip. Included in the tour are two free glasses of Heineken! 

Pseudo DJ hehe. 



Bumped into Felicia, my NBS friend! She left Singapore way earlier than me, and we had different itineraries... so it was a total surprise indeed! What are the odds haha. 

Day 2! Went to visit this immobile windmill hahaha. They were all complaining to me about why i didnt bring them to see a moving windmill, with pretty grassland all around. I apologiseeeeee, but another reason why I brought them here is because of the wonderful local beer brand that is highly recommended by online reviews!

A clearer picture of the windmill. The place is called Brouwerij 't IJ Brewery! It is very popular among the locals. We were getting stares from everyone when we entered. Must have been weird for them to see Asians in a local bar >< Anyway, their beer is really good :)

Apart from the windmill and brewery, we explored the infamous Red Light District as well! No pictures are allowed to be taken inside so no pictures at all! I was very curious about this district, wondering what it would be like to see women so willingly 'display' themselves provocatively for customers. It becomes quite disturbing after awhile.. They have to deal with men's eyes raking over their body, while they themselves knock on the glass door trying to get anyone's attention. It's quite sad really, that they have to do this for a living. Also, whenever a guy walks out from the door, cheers will erupt from around, applauding the guy. Seriously, I think this undermines the respect towards these women. BUT, they do have respect for themselves.. I think(hope). This China girl was taking a photo with her BIG camera (so big and obvious idk whats wrong with her), and she got caught by this prostitute across the bridge. The prostitute shouted "You fucking China girl etc etc etc". I was quite happy about it, thinking they are not that powerless after all. They still have that pride in them to protect their image, and their ... calling? 
We watched a sex show after that, which was equally disturbing. *shudders* I cannot see a priest and a nun together at the same time, in the same light again. 

Day 3! Really had fun on our last day in Amsterdam because we got to cycle around the city, and the countryside! We started off in Amsterdam itself, but after one too many accidents, we decided to head to the countryside, with much lesser cars heheh. Cycled around in Landsmeer and we were lucky enough to spot farm animals! :)



With my bike! Really strong wind, hence the ugly hair ><

Cows!!!!!!!!!!! 

I love horses! My dream is to ride one one day. Maybe in Australia/New Zealand? :)


Wind turbine! The rest were joking about how this is much nicer than the windmill I brought them to... 

Ugly hair omgggggggg. Ducks roaming around :D

Hehe a picture of us cycling!

I miss Amsterdam the most out of all. We were lucky cuz we stayed in the countryside, while spending our days in the city. It's like a mix of both worlds. The people there were really friendly too! Will definitely come back here one day if I ever visit Europe again. And if anyone is wondering if I tried weed.. does two licks of a lollipop filled with cannabis count? :P Was worried that I'll have to undergo a health checkup for my work and they may detect weed in my system. The smell of weed is horrendous though. Everytime I walked pass a coffeeshop I have to hold my breath. I wouldn't rule out trying it next time though :P If I get the chance :D

I miss Amsterdam!!! :'(